- 100 million obese (BMI > 30) people in the U.S. or one third of the population
- 15 million morbidly obese (BMI > 40) or 6% of the U.S. population
$344B in 2018 – 234% increase in past 10 years
The Global Bariatric Surgery Device Market projected to grow to $2.3 billion by 2018 with a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of 9.7%.
Costs include co-existing conditions such as:
- heart disease
- cancers (liver, colon, breast, pancreas, etc.)
More than 225,000 bariatric procedures were performed in 2017 reaching less than 2% of the morbidly obese market.
- Transient benefit
- Transient benefit and side effects e.g. American Home Product’s Redux caused fatal primary pulmonary hypertension (PPH)
- Expensive $11,500-35,000 (usually out-of-pocket with no insurance coverage) Risks include anesthesia, blood clots, infection, etc.
(1) Based on 2017 volume estimates (2) Estimates